Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 10: More Drawers

Today was kind of a random purging day...not much extra time to methodically work through an area, so I just grabbed a few things here at the end of the day.

Total for the day:
2 kid dishes that don't stack neatly in the drawer
1 pajama top
1 pajama bottom
2 trouser socks
2 T-shirts
(these things all went into the donate bag...third bag I've started in 10 days)


1 Cambodian skirt
1 pair of stretched out pantyhose
(these went into the trash)

One thing I also realized this evening is that I hold onto a lot of things for sentimental reasons, but really I never look at them or think about them until it's time to clean out a drawer.  So, what good does it do to hold onto it?  For example I have held on to this skirt from Cambodia for a good long time.  I haven't worn it in years...the elastic is all stretched out, and the fabric is thinned out and worn.  But it reminds me of a very unique and adventurous trip that I got to take to visit friends who are missionaries in Cambodia.  Of course, I don't need this skirt to remember this trip.  I have lots of photos, and the memories I have will be with me until I am too old to think clearly (at which point a skirt will not help my memory much).  So, it's time for it to go.

I wonder what other sentimental things in my house it's time to say good-bye to?

No comments:

Post a Comment